Dentures adhere to the gums by suctioning to the gumline via the available saliva. However, some patients prefer a little more stability while they wear their dentures. Luckily, denture adhesives offer an effective solution both for partial and full dentures.
Learn how to use these adhesives effectively from Smile Bright Dentures below.
Types of Denture Adhesives
There are three main types of dental adhesive products available on the market: strips, creams, and powders.
- Adhesive strips are the best denture adhesives for beginners who have not yet mastered measuring how much product they need for an effective bond. Each strip comes pre-cut with pre-measured gel for a firm grip.
- Adhesive creams allow more control over how much dental adhesive you use for precise portioning.
- Adhesive powders offer up to 12 hours of reliable adhesion. You can also easily apply and measure the amount of product needed to hold your dentures in place.
Step-by-Step Guide to Applying Denture Adhesives
Learning how to use denture adhesives depends on your preferences.
For creams and powders, note the following:
- Clean and dry your dentures.
- Apply the recommended amount.
- Place the dentures in your mouth.
- Close your mouth tightly for several seconds before removing the pressure.
- Avoid eating or drinking for five minutes to ensure a strong seal.
- Remove excess product after this time.
The process for strips is simpler. Peel away the protective film, moisten it with water, and apply it to your dentures. Place the dentures in your mouth and press down to bond.
Removing and Cleaning Denture Adhesives
Removing dental adhesives is also a fairly simple affair. You can follow these steps whether you have full or partial dentures:
- Rinse with warm water for a few moments. You may also rinse with mouthwash if you prefer.
- Once the suction grip loosens, take the dentures out of your mouth.
- Rinse your dentures with water.
- Use a toothbrush to loosen and remove any remaining product on your dentures.
- Place your dentures in your preferred overnight cleaning solution.
- Gently brush your gums with a paste that enhances gum health for continued oral health and denture fit.
Understanding the Pros and Cons of Denture Adhesives
Although many manufacturers produce safe denture adhesives, you can benefit from knowing both the positive and negative effects of these adhesive products.
Advantages of a Denture Adhesive
- Assists with fresh-smelling breath
- Increases the level of comfort when wearing the dentures all day
- Provides more confidence when speaking, singing, emoting, or eating
Disadvantages of Denture Adhesive Products
- Products with zinc as a main ingredient could cause health issues if accidentally ingested
- Adhesive usage requires daily cleaning for sanitary dentures
- Some adhesives may not feel entirely comfortable or might give off a bad taste
Are denture adhesives right for you? Our expert team can help you find out. Whether you’re diving into your journey with immediate dentures or experimenting with products to find a match, you can turn to us for all your denture needs.
Call Smile Bright Dentures at 425-407-5126 to schedule an appointment today!